Masala Dosa is a famous south Indian tiffin snack popular not only in India but outside India too. masala dosa is on the menu list of many north Indian restaurants too. though making masala dosa is a long process, but its worth it.usually the first day i make idlis from the batter and then the next day i make dosa. for making dosa, the batter has to be slightly thin than the idli batter. the leftover batter can always be refrigerated and used when required.
The basic plain dosa recipe calls for soaking urad dal/skinned black lentils and rice. the soaked lentils and rice are then ground and fermented overnight. warm temperature is important for the idli-dosa batter to ferment well.to prepare this hotel style masala dosa, i have used idli-dosa rice. you can also use parboiled rice. i also add some thick poha (flattened rice). poha make the dosa crisp and at the same time the dosa retains its softness too. it also gives a nice golden brown color to the dosa. chana dal is also added to make the dosa crisp.
- 1-1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1/2 cup urad dal (polished black lentil or white lentil)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 Tbs. ghee (clarified butter) or regular butter
- 1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. chana dal (split black chickpeas)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 large potatoes, boiled
- 8 oz. coconut, cilantro and tomato chutney (optional)
- 16 oz. sambar (vegetable lentil stew, optional)
- Prepare Dosa Batter:Soak rice and urad dal in separate bowls for 4-6 hours. Strain.
- Process rice and urad dal mixture in commercial grinder or food processor. While grinding, add water a cup at a time until it reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
- Salt to taste.
- Cover mixture and let sit overnight. Do not refrigerate; it needs to ferment.
- Prepare Masala Dosa Filling: Add oil or ghee to a skillet.
- Add mustard seeds and chana dal.
- Shake mixture over the flame until golden brown.
- Add curry leaves (whole leaf), green chiles, and onions.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt (for taste). Stir.
- Break up boiled potato into small chunks and add them to your mixture. Add water and stir.
- Prepare Masala Dosa: Pour refrigerated dosa mixture into a small bowl with a flat bottom.
- Pour batter into a greased skillet.
- Immediately, starting from the center, begin forming a circular shape with the batter using the flat-bottomed dish.
- Brush on ghee (or regular butter) to frying dosa.
- Place filling near the center of the dosa.
- Lightly lift the edges of the dosa.
- Begin rolling from the edge of the dosa as you would a wrap.
- Remove dosa from hot top or skillet.
- Masala Dosa is typically served with coconut, cilantro and tomato chutney as well as sambar (vegetable lentil stew)